Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Me at Forty!




3. Artist Statement :

Over the past 13 years I have been documenting lives, refining my skills as a creative artist, and working in the commercial photo industry. I am a freelance photographer and I love what I do. In my personal time I like to paint. It is something I discovered in college and always make time for it. I do it for fun and it helps me relax and unwind. I still live in Florida, but I also have a place in Boston. There are times when I feel like I have had no sleep, but my career has been very rewarding. I have worked for many prestigious clients such as Apple, BCG, Whole Foods, S.C. Johnson, Coca-Cola, Disney, and Johnson & Johnson. I have many personal clients in the commercial industry and as portrait clients as well. I also have many pieces of my personal work in galleries all over the world.

After I graduated college, I jumped right into the work force. By then I knew I loved shooting portraits and wanted to also shoot commercially. Be narrowing down what I enjoy about photography the most helped me to become the person I am today.

Currently I juggle being a wife, a mother, and a photographer. The main project I am working on is for a series in my new book. Twenty years ago I documented many different places and things all over the country. I am currently in the process of revisiting the places and re-capturing them. Most of the places have changed dramatically, a few not at all. It is easier to get to them with my new flying car that just came out. It has allowed me to be able to capture different angles and has been great for aerial shots!


1. Letter to Young Artists :

Calling all aspiring artists!

My career as an artist has taken a lot of training, hard work, and dedication. It didn’t happen overnight. My interest in photography began in high school where I was fortunate enough to take a couple of classes. I went on to college to study art more in depth. I also got a degree in business prior to completing my BFA in photography. Education is key. I have also taught myself just as many things if not more than what I learned throughout school.

My big break came when I started shooting for Coca-Cola. When future clients saw that I had worked for them and the work I did for them, it opened up a lot of other doors. Remember, this opportunity was preceded by hundreds of no thank yous.

One of the hardest things I have faced is selling my work. Not only do you have to create the art and then try to put a price on it, but you have to sell it also if you want to make money. This road is bumpier than the road you have to go down to create your masterpiece. Talk to as many people as you can. Carry a portfolio with you at all times. Market yourself.

There are times when you will be discouraged or someone will say that they absolutely don’t like your work, but don’t give up. Follow your heart and your dreams. Continue to educate yourself, be true to yourself, and don’t be judgmental, talk to everyone in your path. These are things I was told early on in my career. Everything will fall into place if you work hard. Most importantly, Don’t ever give up!

Nicole

No comments: